Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2012

The Olympics

Finally, I have arrived at the subject of the Olympics. I've waited until now because I was too busy watching it on the TV. It's a little ironic how it's supposed to inspire young people to do sports, but somehow you get inspired by being a couch potato?
But I don't know about everyone else but it actually is inspiring. I feel like a dorky porky saying this but it is absolutely astonishing to see what the human body can do. Anyone can be an Olympic athlete if they're willing to work very, very hard for it.

I first got a glimpse of this in the women's weight lifting. Seeing girls that aren't much older than me do lift 100+ kilos really blew my mind.
Zulfiya Chinshanlo was absolutely amazing. I can't get a video up on the page but you can watch it here. She's only 19 and from Kazakhstan and managed to lift 131 kilograms in the clean and jerk lift. She made a world record and took home a gold medal. 
Another example of the power we have lies in gymnastics. The USA won gold in artistic gymnastics. They were absolutely amazing - and so was all the other competitors. You can watch that here

I've also been thinking about who I support. I don't not support anyone - I'm in awe of anyone with that kind of determination but I mainly support the USA, Canada, Mexico, anyone who hasn't gotten a medal yet, and countries who've decided to put women in after all. Wait a second...that covers pretty much everyone! Oh well. :)

Another cool thing is how we stop thinking so much about the stupid things that happens. How countries blab at each other and pick fights, all that stuff. I think they should decide that kinda thing in a war-Olympic thing. Countries row and whoever rows the fastest gets it. I bet you're reading this and thinking that it's unfair. Yes, it is. It it's a lot better than killing each other. The best idea is that we just stop bickering, but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Just think of what you can do it you wanted to. If you signed up for that running team you thought about and really stick to it you could end up world champion. And if you're not really into the whole competition kinda thing you can still get fit, get strong, get happy, get sharp and a lot more just by doing a bit of running every day, or swimming a few times a week, or whatever...
But on the other hand there's nothing wrong with curling up on the couch and watching them do all the work. You can run when the Olympics are over. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment